Tuesday, September 17, 2024

The Lil Wayne Discography, pt.1 - Tha Block Is Hot


Okay, okay. I know some of you may be thinking to yourselves right now – why do this? Why put yourself through the miserable and tiresome exercise that the Lil Wayne discography is sure to be? Is this something to do with the whole Superbowl debacle that’s going on right now? Are you going mental? And to you I answer: no. I am doing this for two reasons. One, because it will either be surprisingly good or terribly bad, which will make for fun writing either way. And two, because I have always kind of maintained in conversations and in my own head that Lil Wayne is pretty overrated. Sure, I’ve heard good bars from him, but his delivery makes me cringe, and a lot of his content seems to be about the most generic bullshit there is. And yes, there are a couple of dope hit songs he’s got, like “Six Foot Seven Foot” and “Love Me”, but even on these admitted bangers, he isn’t necessarily the main star of the show (okay, maybe he IS on the former of those, but whatever). For every good bar or piece of wordplay, there’s always something terrible going alongside it, most of the time being an awfully stale sex punchline – and I think we all know about some of Wayne’s godawful reaches when it comes to likening things to that activity his fans so desperately want to hear about (in his mind, that is). And don’t get me started on this man’s autotune – imagine how much better the chorus of The Game’s “My Life” would be if he had got someone who could actually sing to do it?

Still, for all the flaws I’ve picked out in his big hits and guest appearances, there’s something I must admit – I never actually have taken the time to sit down and listen to a whole entire Lil Wayne album, much less his whole catalogue. So, since I’m back at college now and I have to spend lots of time sat in a library with access to a computer, I’m going to run through his whole ass discography – well, just the studio albums that is. Maybe we’ll save the ton of mixtapes he’s put out over the years for later. I aim to discover if Lil Wayne really does deserve the constant praise that he gets, and if he deserves more accolade from me. And so, ladies and gentlemen of the Beats, Rhymes & Reviews audience, I present to you the first write-up in my [name to be thought about – it’s hard to think of something as catchy as Murs-athon, you know!] – a review of Wayne’s debut album, Tha Block Is Hot. I can’t front – that is a dope title.

I’m sure there are people out there who don’t realise this, but Lil Wayne a/k/a Tunechi a/k/a Young Mula a/k/a Weezy (I could go on) has actually been around since the late ‘90s, even though he didn’t get really big until around 2008 with the release of one of his most recognisable projects, Tha Carter III. Of course, a lot of rappers started long before they hit the big time, but here’s the thing – Wayne was big back then too. I’m sure we all know that he was signed to Cash Money, and was part of the group Hot Boyz, along with Juvenile, Mannie Fresh, B.G., Birdman and a bunch of other people who haven’t been relevant for twenty years. However, what I didn’t know until recently was that his debut effort, that of the horrible cover art known as Tha Block Is Hot, charted at no. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100. That’s pretty crazy stuff. And speaking of his debut effort, here’s a review for that now. Nice transition, huh?

Looking at the tracklist of this album, I’m struck by a couple of thoughts. The first is that this album looks quite long. 17 tracks for 70 minutes of music, without any skits at all to break up the monotony, besides an intro which I pretty much could have predicted would be there. This isn’t worrying exactly, but if I don’t end up enjoying the sound of this album then that could be a big problem. And I do kind of know what to expect here, mind – this is a late ‘90s Southern hip-hop album, so it’ll probably have club ready beats that sound a bit cheap but still bump nonetheless, and lyrics that revolve around bragging, sex, bragging and violence. You know, nice stuff. The features on here consist of quite a few members of the Cash Money Millionares collective – that’s B.G., Juvenile, Big Tymers and Turk – and also some guy called Papa Reu, whom I haven’t ever heard before. A good thing, or a bad? You decide. Oh, and the beats on this album are all done by Mannie Fresh, who did pretty much all of the stuff for this collective – overworking can be a good thing of course, but I hope that the guy had some good ideas after all of the stuff he’d already put out.

I’m kinda just droning on now, but the effect of that isn’t necessarily bad – I actually find myself rather excited to start this thing up now. So, let’s get going then. Lil Wayne. Tha Block Is Hot. Here we go.

All songs are produced by Mannie Fresh.

1. Intro (feat. Big Tymers)

Well, this was a rap album intro, featuring Birdman and Mannie Fresh hyping up our host over a fairly triumphant instrumental that I didn’t mind too much. Still, if you could refer back to the first seven words of this paragraph, that would be much appreciated.

2. Tha Block Is Hot

The lead single and most popular song on this album. On this song, Wayne drops three verses over a haunting beat from Mannie Fresh, and the results are pretty great, if overlong. The opening verse is incredibly engaging on here, with Lil Wayne comin’ out swinging with descriptions of the dark and harsh conditions of the location where he lived at the time. Oh, and there’s quite a bit of violence on here too, but anyone looking at this confrontational cover and not expecting that probably needs their eyes checked out. The chorus on here was catchy, the beat was dope, and I actually enjoyed Wayne’s performance a lot too. The third verse probably could have been cut, though, as the song felt like it was dragging by that point. Fact – this song is where the first ever example of a “skrrt!” ad-lib was found. Well, I didn’t say it was a fun fact.

3. Loud Pipes (feat. Big Tymers, Juvenile & B.G.)

Why is this song so long, man? The instrumental on here sounds like it was stolen from Swizz Beatz’ hard-drive of rejects, and then tweaked to sound even louder and more obnoxious than it already was, and the rapping doesn’t help it either. Mannie Fresh delivers a fairly good performance to open the track up, and I didn’t mind B.G.’s efforts either, but unfortunately Birdman sounds completely off beat and awkward throughout his sixteen bars of bullshit, and Lil Wayne’s sing-songy flow was just straight up annoying. Also, the Juvenile hook will probably haunt me to the end of my days. Yeah, I didn’t like this that much.

4. Watcha Wanna Do

A hell of a lot better than the previous song, but nothing really worth returning to either. Wayne’s lyrics revolve around the fact that while he may look like a short little kid (because let’s face it, that’s what he was), he’ll still find ways to mess you up and possibly kill you, all the while coming up with strangely ineffective insults to call you (see “feminine punk” – I mean, what sort of name-calling is that??). The lyrics themselves aren’t terrible, but I don’t find the overall concept easy to take seriously, especially when we’ve got this instrumental behind them that goes for “aggressive and haunting” but instead lands somewhere around “fairly unsettling but ultimately dull”. The hook’s pretty fun, but otherwise this was merely eh.

5. Kisha (feat. the Hot Boys)

Nah, man. Just… nah. I honestly can’t believe these guys chose what is actually the best instrumental so far, with its intense melody and urgent sound, and turned it into this awful storytelling track where the four MCs (Wayne, Turk, Juvenile and B.G.) take turns describing sexual encounters with THE SAME DAMNED GIRL. This is just an exercise in shaming women – I mean, I’m sure these guys don’t have a few months break after their relationships end, so why should it be OK for them to talk like this? I could not stand this song, man.

6. High Beamin’ (feat. B.G.)

Over what is easily the most godawful beat we’ve heard over the entire course of this album, Lil Wayne and B.G. rap about money meanwhile forgetting that they’re supposed to be, you know, entertaining us. There’s not really much to say here – no bars of note, nothing good to mention in the beat, some terrible sing-songy flows here and there, and a horrible chorus. This is the worst song yet. Jesus, man.

7. Lights Off

From what I’m seeing, this is one of the more well regarded songs on the album. My question – why the hell is that?? On this song, it seems Wayne initially spit these murderous and violent lyrics over a completely different beat, as the one on here is soft as a bowl of melting ice cream, and about as strong. Yeah, I said it – aside from the cool drum experimentation at the end, this beat is horrid. And considering he’s widely regarded as one of the greatest of all time, I’m finding it hard to actually get any good bars out of these songs. I mean, they’re not bad or anything, but most of the lyrics on this track fail to stick with me, or make me want to highlight them here. I’m sorry, but I did not like this one at all.

8. Fuck Tha World

Looks like we’re naming our songs after 2Pac classics now. Nice work, Wayne. Nice work. Still, I have to admit that this was actually a pretty great track, even if the instrumental sounded kind of tacky if you ask me – imagine Jay-Z’s “Lucky Me” beat if it was made with a budget of £5.50. The actual rapping, however, was great, as Lil Wayne does a 1-80 on the violent and braggadocios content we’ve heard so far, and actually starts to rap about his real life struggles, including the loss of his father, being poor, and having a child at a very young age – I feel like now is a good time to note that Wayne was young when this album came out. That’s probably why most of what we’ve heard so far isn’t very good, but this is, trust me. I’ll even forgive the fact that he stole this title. Not a bad song, Weezy. Not bad at all.

9. Remember Me (feat. B.G.)

This was another instance of a song just going on for a bit longer than it should have, but all in all I didn’t mind this one. I actually liked the slightly unorthodox beat, with it’s futuristic sound effects and all, and Lil Wayne kept things entertaining with his brags and what have you that we’ve pretty much become entirely used to at this stage of the album. The chorus from B.G. (which hilariously refers to the host as “Weezy Wee”) is quite godawful, though, and as I said I feel like this would have worked better with just two verses, as it starts to get a bit headache inducing after a while. Still, I kind of enjoyed this one.

10. Respect Us (feat. Juvenile)

Well, this was weird, and by weird, I don’t mean intriguingly good, but rather – slightly unorthodox in its execution but still ultimately pretty bad. I just don’t understand why you would take this tropical-ass music, and turn it into this late ‘90s cheap sounding beat that just ends up sounding silly rather than actually something you’d want to dance to. And aside from Lil Wayne making time to enact the process of coughing up a hairball, the rest of the lyrics here are just drab and really uninteresting. I mean, you read the title – do I need to spell it out? Also, Juvenile only pops up for the hook here, and the less said about that the better. Man, this kinda sucked.

11. Drop It Like It’s Hot (feat. B.G. & Mannie Fresh)

Mannie Fresh actually did kind of a good job on his other feature here, so hopefully I can look forward to his performance on this one. Also, Wayne was indeed the person to first use this phrase in hip-hop, not the Snoop D-O-double-G like you might think. Honestly, I enjoyed this beat a lot, as it sounded like a lot more effort and, you know, money had been put into it, and I also liked the hook, which interpolated the lines from Juvenile’s “Back That Azz Up” that give this song its name. Unfortunately, not everything about this could be defended – the second of Wayne’s two verses was pretty good, but his first was weak, and goddamn what does Mannie Fresh think he’s up to on here? That verse was horrific. I’m not one to advocate for censorship, but I really think that that should have been cut. This is still one of the better songs here, but remember – that’s not a good thing. This is still quite bad.

12. Young Playa (feat. Big Tymers)

No, no, no. This song title is godawful. Wayne starts this one with some creepy laughing, before launching into an awful vocal delivery and selection of lyrics that are nothing more than dull, boastful gibberish. Why is he betting on Kobe? Why is that relevant? Funnily enough, Birdman and Mannie Fresh don’t even rap on here – they simply provide spoken interludes between each verse. Was that really worth the feature credit? I mean, really?? Also, I didn’t mention it, but this beat is really weak. Honestly, I just heard another line about something disgusting, and I can’t be prepared with this one anymore. It’s bad. Just bad.

13. Enemy Turf (feat. Juvenile)

Well, at least this song isn’t about sex. Instead, Wayne and Juvenile (who actually bothers to deliver a verse on this one) talk about how conditions are so poor in their hometowns that they feel that they’re on “enemy turf”, but make no mistake – they aren’t sad about this. It’s merely an excuse to discuss more violence, not that I mind too much, as Juvenile does sound quite convincing on here – also, he’s easily the most unique member of Cash Money from what I’m seeing, or at least the incarnation of the group at that time. Wayne does a solid job too, and I even thought the beat bopped along quite nicely. Yeah, I liked this one a lot. Well, a lot is an overstatement, but still I quite enjoyed it.

14. Not Like Me (feat. Big Tymers)

Oh great, another Big Tymers feature. Thank God it’s the last. Still, I didn’t dislike this song either – the chorus from an apparently uncredited Papa Rue notwithstanding, since I hate it. Yes, “I got so much money I know who killed Kennedy” might be the stupidest rap lyric of the ‘90s, but on the other hand the instrumental on this one was actually quite moving, and I really enjoyed all of the performances from the three artists here. Yeah, it’s not top tier stuff, but this did me fine.  

15. Come On (feat. B.G.)

Well, I guess we’ve given up on creative song titles. And creative songs. Why is this so repetitive? Did they not hear that? What the hell is this? Nothing about this song is worth mentioning – it’s not even bad, it’s just really bland and boring. Come on guys, we almost had a good run there!!

16. Up To Me

I guess Weezy finally mastered the art of creating a proper song with this one, as this track actually has a unique theme that is followed through satisfactorily, and it has a beat that doesn’t get old after a minute and a half – well, I guess we’ve got Mannie to thank for that latter point. The production on here was really nice and poignant, and Wayne uses it to rap about his deceased stepfather, and about how he’s going to carry on his ways in remembrance of him – he also uses a lot of the track to directly address his father. This is also one of the first times on the album where some lines have stuck out to me for a good reason – I really liked “but the same thing make ya laugh, make ya cry, and everybody that you love it’s like they have to die”. Yeah, this was actually a really good song – in fact, it’s my favourite so far.

17. You Want War (feat. Turk)

For the closing song on this album, Weezy finally realises that you don’t need a bullshit hook to make a good song, and decides to have this song with just three verses – two from him, and one in the middle from Turk, who must be the guy from Cash Money that no-one actually remembers. I enjoyed this a decent amount, and I loved Weezy’s flow towards the end, but there’s no way this was the best way we could have ended things. This is a song for the middle of the album at best.

Look. I know he’s well regarded. I know that he’ll probably get better from here. I’ll even acknowledge that there were a few bangers on this album. But that doesn’t change the overwhelming truth present here – this album is not good. Not only is it not good. It’s actually quite bad. Firstly, I have my big issues with the production. Most of the beats on this album are repetitive, annoying, cheap and ultimately ineffective at creating a good soundscape for whatever Wayne is trying to say. Even the best beats here don’t match up to anything Ghostface Killah or Common would have had on their albums through their career, and the worst ones are straight up god awful. Some of the more positive sounding ones are the worst here – what the hell were they even trying to do on “High Beamin'”? Or “Young Playa”? There isn’t much in the way of good production here, but to be honest the same could be said for the rapping. Almost every song here deals with the same old rubbish that a lot of mainstream hip-hop in the late 1990s and early 2000s did – violence, bragging and sex. And it’s not even tasteful – there’s no self awareness, no hint that the things talked about throughout this album aren’t actually very good. It’s all negative, and it’s all repetitive too. I know Wayne was 17 and probably thought bragging about expensive guns on a rap album was the best job in the world, but in retrospect these lyrics aren’t good. At all. Of course, Wayne did have a few personal moments on here, specifically with “Fuck tha World” and “Up to Me”, but aside from these it's slim pickings. The features on here were weak as hell too – I’m a fan of Juvenile, but even he tends to just do the hook on the songs he appears on, and everyone else just can’t be bothered to provide anything insightful or well-executed to the table apparently. And why the hell did this need to be so long? An album like this should be 11 tracks, tops. It's unfortunate that it's often the least engaging rappers who chuck the most music on each LP. Yeah, I didn’t like this album much. There were a couple of good joints, but nothing really worth returning to, and some pretty terrible moments too. I just hope to God that things improve from here, because if they don’t then I think I’ll begin to regret this album run, and very quickly…

Best Track: "Up to Me"

Worst Track: "Young Playa"

Oh, and I'm going to start scoring these albums too - I'll rank them all at the end, and also explain my reasoning if I happen to up or down a rating. 

49/100


No comments:

Post a Comment

Murs-athon pt. 15 - The Final Adventure

Followers of the Murs catalogue should know by now that from 2004 onwards, every two years there had been a ten track collaborative record b...